Why disc you ask? With our disc-specific rims you not only ditch the brake track but you get a stronger more impact-resistant rim. This comes at the hands of a disc-specific carbon layup that optimizes stiffness and keeps weight as close to its rim-brake brethren as possible. And all the while you get incredible brake modulation and power in all conditions. After designing the CLX 50s we realized that an affordable race-worthy carbon wheelset was nowhere to be found—until the CL 50 Disc was developed that is. We paired our quiver-killing CLX 50 Disc rim with DT Swiss Competition round spokes our Aero Flange Disc hubs with DT Swiss 350 internals and steel bearings to deliver you an exceptional wheelset at a more than accessible price.
After designing the CLX 50s we realized that an affordable race-worthy carbon wheelset was nowhere to be found—until the CL 50 Disc was developed that is. We paired our quiver-killing CLX 50 Disc rim with DT Swiss Competition round spokes our Aero Flange Disc hubs with DT Swiss 350 internals and steel bearings to deliver you an exceptional wheelset at a more than accessible price.
Sharing rims with the CLX 50s the CL 50s feature many of the benefits as their higher-end siblings. Even though the CL 50 is similar in weight to many wheels in the “lightweight” category aerodynamics came at the forefront of the development. With this we jumped headlong into Computational Fluid Dynamics computer modeling to arrive at various rim shapes that could make the CL 50 as fast and light as possible. It took a while but we narrowed the rim shape down to three contenders that were then CNC machined into rims built into wheels and put into the Win Tunnel.
In the tunnel we tested every wheel ours and the competition's with a 24C tire (measuring 26C) as tires can drastically affect testing. We chose a modern-width tire to design our rims around because they not only allow for less tire pressure (which results in more comfort and less rolling resistance) but are also just as aerodynamically efficient when paired with the correct rim width.
Now it was time for final testing validation. The result? A 50mm-deep 1515-gram clincher wheelset that's race-ready and wallet-friendly.
- Rim Type: Carbon clincher, 2Bliss-Ready
- Rim Material: Carbon
- Braking Surface: Disc brake only
- Rim Depth: 50mm
- Rim Width: 20.7mm internal, 29.4mm external
- Front Spoke Pattern: Two-cross/Radial (2:1)
- Rear Spoke Pattern: One-cross/Two-cross (2:1)
- Spoke Count: 21 front, 24 rear
- Spoke Type: DT Swiss Competition Race T-head
- Nipple Type: DT Swiss Pro LockBrass hexagonal
- Front Hub: Roval AFD1, Centerlock, sealed cartridge bearings, quick-release or 12mm thru-axle end cap
- Rear Hub: Roval AFD2, Centerlock, sealed cartridge bearings, DT Swiss 350 internals, 11-speed, quick-release or 142x12mm thru-axle end cap
- Assembly Method: Hand-built
- Extras: Roval steel quick-releases, Roval tubeless plugs and valves, Front quick-release & 12mm endcaps, Rear quick-release & 142x12 thru-axle endcaps
- Total Wheelset Weight: 1,515g